Each day of the week, Ssamba Foundation sets out to the rural villages with a team of volunteers to community needs assessment and or engage ourselves in activities that improve the living standards of the local villagers.
During our community outreach volunteer project, our major work is carrying out a community needs assessment to identifies the strengths and resources available in the community to meet the needs of children, youth, and families.
The Ssamba Foundation team also engage into activities which improve on the sanitation of rural people and this include clearing of drinking wells, building of dry racks and the digging of latrines as well as education of healthy living practices.
Volunteers may assist in providing support, education, and the means by which vulnerable and disadvantaged individuals, groups and communities living in extreme poverty may become self-sustaining. The project areas that you may be involved with include child nutrition, agriculture training, water and sanitation, deadly disease awareness, sexual health education, vocational training, and income generating schemes, to list just a few.
You will have the opportunity to try different roles and projects, dependent on your interests and skills. These volunteer opportunities do not require specialized skills (although these would be an advantage), and we accept volunteers for both short and long-term placements, all the year round. Volunteers certainly gain an amazing life experience from their participation in our placement program. On first arrival, most volunteers sample all the projects before selecting the tasks that suit them best.
You just have to let us know where you want to do and we will place you there and information is available for you. The type of work you are involved with will be dependent on your interests, abilities, level of experience as well as your comfort levels.
One of the advantages of the community outreach volunteer project is that you are not limited to one job role and will have the opportunity to ‘sample’ other roles during your placement. To become involved in other activity simply inform a member of staff who will happily make any necessary arrangements.
Volunteer work side by side the locals’ on-going brick construction and water building projects in the community. Volunteers needed for manual labor jobs working alongside skilled and unskilled local workers.
Some tasks include farming, pig rearing, construction of the volunteer center, expansion, water well building and renovation work. Volunteers do not need prior experience, but skilled workers are very welcome. This is a very hand on, hands dirty sort of program. Enthusiasm, a good sense of humor and helping spirit are required.
The community outreach volunteers are responsible for assisting our office in the implementation, running of day-to-day activities and monitoring of projects in the respective field sites.
The participants in our community outreach volunteer project strategize the community mobilization through community outreach workers (volunteers) and identifying community leaders and key stakeholders to ensure greater community support and buy-in.
Volunteer Specific Tasks:
- Assisting the Projects Officer with the day to day running of project activities
- Supporting the Projects Officer in the implementation, running and monitoring of projects
- Conducting regular visits to schools to monitor project activities, collect data and organize for staff visits and evaluations.
- Writes weekly reports on the projects and activities, and other related issues in their location and submit it to the office before the end of every month.
- Producing weekly work plans
- Providing accountability of and funds managed within a month (including all receipts and vouchers)
- Maintaining good relationships with District Authorities and project schools and communities and representing Ssamba Foundation at district-level meetings
- Ensures that project activities are conducted in line with international standards of “Do no harm principles”, to protect the image and reputation of our organization.
- Document success stories, case studies and collect other media for promotional purposes.
- To carry out all other reasonable duties which are necessary for the efficient running and management of the organization.
No qualifications or experience are required for the community outreach volunteer project. The desire to make a positive impact in the lives of vulnerable people is all that we need. Any level of education, age can be put to good use.
Your help, as a volunteer on the community outreach project, is vital for the rural villages and marginalized groups of individuals, such as widows and orphans to build a better life and support themselves.
- You must be 18 yrs and above
- You must speak some English
- We recommend travel/life personal insurance
- You must be Sociable, Energetic, Positive & Fun!
- You must commit at least 2 weeks’ minimum
One day volunteering:
If you live in Mukono or Kampala and you want to volunteer part time, we would love to hear from you! We can use volunteers for a couple of hours a few days a week. We are also looking for full time volunteers who are available for more extended amounts of time. We are convinced that as you serve here you will also gain from the experience.
- Water Sports
- Sightseeing / Safaris
- Hiking /Climbing
ARRIVAL & ORIENTATION
Your arrival into Uganda will be on a Sunday. Your orientation for your volunteer program in Uganda will begin on Monday. You will spend the day learning about life in Uganda and preparing for your upcoming volunteer placement.
- 2 Weeks Program: USD$290
- 3 Weeks Program: USD$435
- 4 Weeks Program: USD$580
- 5 Weeks Program: USD$725
- 6 Weeks Program: USD$870
- 7 Weeks Program: USD$1,015
- 8 Weeks Program: USD$1,160
- 9 Weeks Program: USD$1,305
- 10 Weeks Program: USD$1,450
- 11 Weeks Program: USD$1,595
- 12 Weeks Program: USD$1,740
Registration & Deposit: A deposit of 50% is required on acceptance of your application into the program, with the balance alongside airport pick being within 24hrs to the Office Cashier after arrival.
Program Fee Covers:
- Comfortable Bed
- Hearty Breakfast
- Delicious Dinner
- All kind of ground administration support
- Personal Expenses
- Airport Transfers – USD$85 (one way)
- Lunch (covered by volunteers while in the field)
- Daily field/project transport (most projects are in reasonable walkable distance or budget for USD$2-3 daily)
VOLUNTEER NOW – FILL VOLUNTEER APPLICATION FORM BELOW