The community of Kyampisi Subcounty in Mukono district of Uganda has shown great interest in learning different languages from our international volunteers. You can join our teach languages abroad Uganda program and teach languages like Dutch, Danish, Italian, Arabic, Chinese, Polish, Portuguese, Turkish, Greek, Finnish, Irish, Norwegian, Swedish, and Japanese.
We teach various languages to a wide variety of ages, ability levels, and professional orientations. Yet one of the most unique aspects of the program is the incorporation of a cultural exchange element, which allows locals to learn about the diverse cultural backgrounds and customs of our volunteers while enriching volunteers’ own understanding of the local culture.
We are always looking for people with qualifications or previous teaching experience to manage our language programs by coordinating with local counterparts regarding new and existing courses, preparing appropriate lesson plans, teaching classes, and training other volunteers who are interested in supporting this initiative.
Learning a foreign language is one of the key to success. The Ssamba Foundation’s Sustainable Education Program focuses on language classes, international cultural exchanges and educational murals. These initiatives are aimed at a wide range of audiences, from school children to local villagers.
Learning a second foreign language from our international volunteers is one of the most important tools Ssamba Foundation can give the children and the people of Mukono district in order to break the cycle of poverty affecting their lives. Improved knowledge of English, German, Spanish, French and other international languages listed above provides locals with a crucial skill in seeking further education and can unlock new job opportunities.
This is where volunteers like you will get to make a great impact, as you strive to make an impact when you teach languages abroad in Uganda. By teaching locals how to speak the language and about the culture, you will be participating in a life-changing cultural exchange volunteer program, and making an investment in the lives of many Ugandans that will live within them for years to come.
VOLUNTEER DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
We welcome volunteers who can teach any of the foreign languages above to Uganda at Ssamba Foundation in Mukono district. As a foreign language teacher you will be required to teach 5 days a week. Saturday and Sunday are days off for the volunteer to enjoy some free time and there are occasional public holidays during the school term. Depending on school size, class numbers vary from 15-60 in a class.
- Sing popular songs and play games of your language
- Teach numbers and the alphabet of your language to Ugandans
- Put on exciting demonstrations to highlight traditional fashion, music, etc.
- Teach translation of popular phrases and greetings of your language to locals
- Experienced language teachers can teach adults at the community language center
- Tell the students about the your cuisine, famous landmarks, customs, and traditions
- Go to schools and teach the language to kids of all ages, from kindergarten up to high school
- Educate Ugandans on how to properly pronounce words in your language and teach right grammar
If you have additional skills in extra-curricular activities such as: teaching games, music, painting, singing, dancing, yoga, martial arts etc, then you are most welcome to incorporate this into the Uganda language teaching program.
VOLUNTEER REQUIREMENTS & IDEAL VOLUNTEERS
- You must be 18 yrs and above
- You must speak some English
- Natives speakers who can share their culture
- We recommend travel/life personal insurance
- You must commit at least 2 weeks’ minimum
- You must be Sociable, Energetic, Positive & Fun!
- Anyone who can fluently speak, read and write the language
- Students, teens and young adults who would like to teach their language
ARRIVAL & START DATES
|Month 2023||Arrival Dates & Day||Start Dates & Day|
|January:||8th & 15th / Sunday||9th & 16th /Monday|
|February:||12th /Sunday||16th /Monday|
|March:||5th /Sunday||6th /Monday|
|April:||2nd & 16th /Sunday||3rd & 17th /Monday|
|May:||7th & 14th /Sunday||8th & 15th /Monday|
|June:||4th & 11th /Sunday||5th & 12th / Monday|
|July:||2nd , 9th & 16th /Sunday||3rd, 10th & 17th /Monday|
|August:||6th & 13th /Sunday||7th & 14th /Monday|
|September:||3rd & 10th /Sunday||4th & 11th /Monday|
|October:||1st & 15th /Sunday||2nd & 16th /Monday|
|November:||5th, 12th & 19th /Sunday||6th, 13th & 20th / Monday|
|December:||3rd / Sunday||4th / Monday|
Your arrival into Uganda will be on a Sunday. Your orientation for your volunteer program in Uganda will begin on Monday. You will spend the day learning about life in Uganda and preparing for your upcoming volunteer program.