Education is the key to a child’s success in Uganda. Ssamba Foundation’s teaching volunteer project focuses on international language classes, international cultural exchanges, arts, music, crafts, sports, games and educational murals. These initiatives are aimed at a wide range of audiences, from school children to local villagers.
Education is a priority, it is one of the most important tools Ssamba Foundation can give the children in order to break the cycle of poverty affecting their lives and to help them become independent adults. The murals we paint are directed towards local schools to help raise awareness on key issues such as personal hygiene, recycling and environmental preservation. Improved knowledge of foreign language provides locals with a crucial skill in seeking further education and can unlock new job opportunities.
Our Teaching volunteer project is an enriching and satisfying experience where the volunteer get the opportunity to teach children who are eager to improve their conversational skills and other subjects. If you are a qualified teacher, an educated individual, experienced in a specific subject area or just seeking to lend a helping hand in a school setting, then our teaching volunteer project is what you are seeking. You have the option of volunteering in either elementary schools, primary school or high schools, with students ranging from the ages of 3-19.
The Impact of Teaching Volunteer Project
Many schools in Uganda are overcrowded, with teachers sometimes being forced to work with limited supplies in classes that can hold anywhere from 30-50 students. As you can imagine, it is difficult to give each student the one-on one attention that they deserve. Therefore, your help is needed on our teaching volunteer projects, as you can assist the teacher with lessons, and get to know the students on a personal level while offering them individual assistance.
We also partner with several technical and trade schools to offer teaching volunteers qualified in areas ranging from information technology, food preparation, carpentry, technical drawing and much more an opportunity to serve. These projects provide the perfect opportunity for you to pass on your knowledge and skills. It is also a great learning opportunity while traveling, as it gives you a chance to interact with Ugandans daily and learn about our culture.
No qualifications or experience are required for general teaching volunteer project. That means if you wish to go to a school to assist, take part in lessons, teach/mentor students under the supervision of local teachers, as well as other guided tasks, then you will not need qualifications. Assignments for qualified teachers, however, requires that you will need to be certified by an accredited institution, as well as possess several years’ worth of experience teaching or working in the field you would like to teach in.
- Senior volunteers
- Current, retired or teachers in training
- Anyone with a passion for giving back and educating others
- Couples and families, with at least 1 member being qualified to teach
- Medical students and professionals looking to share medical knowledge
- Corporate groups looking to give back while educating students about their field
- Teens and young adults with an interest in sharing their knowledge and experience
- Business owners with an interest in education, or those interested in sharing their talents
- Students gifted or adept in certain areas such as sports, music, dance, a foreign language etc.
Planning Your Project Activities
Pre-planning is the most important step towards ensuring that your teaching volunteer project will be a success. Once you are accepted into this project, your Project Advisor will reach out to you to discuss your goals, what areas you would like to teach and the activities that you would like to do. You can brainstorm to think of some fun and informative games, and activities you can do to ensure your lessons get across to your students.
Some ideas you can mull over include:
- Teach a foreign language or sign language
- Help create charts and teaching aids for students
- Teach the students about your culture back home
- Coordinate fun physical education and sports activities for students
- Share in the Ugandan culture with the students as you interact with them daily
- Qualified teachers may be able to teach and lead classes without any supervision
- Help teach a local class in subjects such as Mathematics, Geography and Science etc.
- Work as a teacher’s assistant to provide students with one-on-one guidance and attention
- Arrange quizzes, contests and other fun activities to stimulate students and award the winners.
- Collect donations of cash and kind back home to help provide learning materials for the school.
These are just some examples. Feel free to discuss any other activities you would like to engage in during your project.
Resources for Teaching volunteer Project
You may collect cash or purchase items back home that you can bring along with you to Uganda to help you during your teaching project. You can give them to students as rewards for completing lessons or to give to them to make their school work easier. This includes books, pencils, pens, markers, crayons, calculators and more. We will send you a list of needed resources for the school you are placed in, as well as some suggested items that are always in demand.
Recommended to Take with You
- Comfortable shoes
- A reusable water bottle
- A camera to take pictures
- Supplies to assist with your project
- Notebook or electronic device to take notes
- Sunscreen if you intend to play in the sun or sunbathe
- Teaching aids or materials to help complete your lessons
- Insect repellent to prevent to prevent mosquito and bug bites
- Money to purchase lunch ($2 – $5 USD per day) (if not having lunch at home)
- Cash for any shopping or excursions (Your VISA/MASTERCARD will be helpful)
- You must be 18 yrs and above
- You must speak some English
- We recommend travel/life personal insurance
- You must be Sociable, Energetic, Positive & Fun!
- For Teaching: You must commit at least 4 weeks’ minimum
The objective of this project is to contribute to the academic development of the schools in order to provide the best opportunity for the orphans and vulnerable children to receive quality education. Volunteers support the local teachers; encourage students to learn and play and instill pride in their schooling.
ARRIVAL & START DATES
School terms are approximately as follows: February 1 to April 30, and May 20 to August 30, September 15 to early December. Other volunteers interested in working with our schools can assist with the physical upkeep of the school; painting, decorating, mending desks and hopefully setting up various school projects etc. Most important volunteers should try to develop activities/programs that can be sustained in the future. Prior teaching experience is not required; volunteer simply need an open mind, caring spirit and a compassionate nature.
Your arrival into Uganda will be on a Sunday. Your orientation for your volunteer program in Uganda will begin on Monday. You will spend the day learning about life in Uganda and preparing for your upcoming volunteer placement.
Registration Donation: USD$145
When you pay for the placement registration donation, below is the breakdown of the USD$145. This is where your donation goes:
- Administration – USD$30 (all ground support)
- Activity of the month -$50
- School Meal Project -$50
- Bank /Conversion Charges -$15
Weekly Contribution: Volunteering is Free but as a volunteer you contribute towards your Accommodation and Meals to help us save on our limited resources and utilize them to further our projects (paid in total sum of number of weeks you will stay, at least 14 days before arrival)
- 2 Weeks Program: USD$280
- 3 Weeks Program: USD$420
- 4 Weeks Program: USD$560
- 5 Weeks Program: USD$700
- 6 Weeks Program: USD$840
- 7 Weeks Program: USD$980
- 8 Weeks Program: USD$1,120
- 9 Weeks Program: USD$1,260
- 10 Weeks Program: USD$1,400
- 11 Weeks Program: USD$1,540
- 12 Weeks Program: USD$1,680
Program Fee Covers:
Accommodation/bed, breakfast & dinner (2meals a day)
- Lunch (covered by volunteers while in the field)
- Daily accommodation to field/project transport (most projects are in reasonable walkable distance or budget for USD$2-3 daily)
- Airport Pickup /drop off – USD$70-night arrivals
- Airport Pickup /drop off – USD$85 – Day arrivals
VOLUNTEER NOW – FILL VOLUNTEER APPLICATION FORM BELOW